Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Life in the Compound

As I am the only 'outsider' I occasionally get asked what its like living in the Belbeck/Morlan compound.

I do have a little experience in this area. Josh and I lived here for a month three years ago when lightning struck and burned our apartment. And if you had asked me this even two weeks ago, I would have said that I wouldn't do it again. Don't get me wrong, I will always be thankful for the completely unselfish way they opened up their home to us, but we had some rough patches. There were space issues, communication gaps, and relational speed bumps that made it a little tricky at times.

But this time around, it feels different. Admittedly we are only a week and a half into this and there are many more days ahead, but things have changed. This situation is not as stressful, I have grown up a little (I like to think so anyway), there is an extra bathroom (you try living through 11 people sharing two bathrooms and trying to get out of the house at the same time every day), and there are no ants. But I think the two biggest changes are that we have learned to communicate a little better and there is Noah. I literally have to fight off the hoards who want to love on and adore my son. He is the bright spot in all of our days. My in-laws absolutely love having him here 24/7 and I love watching him be adored.

I also am learning to appreciate the little things a lot more. I have two wise Mommas who model daily what a mother should be. I have a sister-in-law who happily displaces her son and his clothing obsession to make my life more comfortable and organized. I have a mother-in-law who does my laundry. I have five sets of little hands willing to help and hold. I have a father-in-law who plays hide and seek with my dog.

So life in the compound continues to be fun, and busy, and loud, and crazy, and tiring, and stressful, and time-crunched, and uplifting, and messy. But I think that's the way God intended life to be. At least that is the way He intended this phase of my life to be. While I miss my home and the quiet routine of my days, I truly enjoy the company of my in-laws. How many people can say that with absolute honesty? And this time around, I enjoy living with them too.

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment