Saturday, December 12, 2009

No More Do-Gooding

Since we moved back into our house, I have made a concerted effort to walk Raleigh Dog every morning. This is because she drives me crazy while I am home with her if I don't. I roll straight out of bed, throw on sock and shoes, layer on several jackets, and we are out the door. I look like a cross between the stay-puff marshmallow man and the crazy pajama lady. I think everyone is familiar with what crazy pajama ladies look like, you might even have one in your neighborhood. In my neighborhood, its me. Hey - I'll do whatever it takes for a little extra sanity in my life.

It is usually pretty dark and cold so we don't run across much excitement. Occasionally, we will meet another dog or worse yet, a squirrel, and Raleigh will be off like a shot and take my arm with her. A couple weeks ago, there was this little black dog with a broken chain trailing from his collar wandering around the neighborhood. My maternal hormones kicked in big time (I can't stand to see a stray anything without wanting to find a home for it - not my home though, let me be clear on that point), and we chased that poor dog around for thirty minutes. I never caught it, never even got close.

So this morning, while Raleigh and I were out for our walk, I saw a little black dog with some sort of non-contagious mange issue. I immediately knew it was that same dog. She had a name tag with the owners phone number, so I attached her collar to Raleigh's leash and started my merry way back home on my do-gooder's mission.

I got about three steps before I hear someone yelling "Maggie! Maggie!" and I realize that I have just taken this dog from its own yard. That's right folks, I accidentally almost stole a dog. I immediately let her off the leash, stammer something about thinking her lost and I promise I was going to call you when I got home with her, and practically run away - dragging Raleigh with me.

Once I regained my senses, I realized I could probably have handled that exchange a little better. So, I went home and showered, fed Noah and got regular clothes on the both of us and we made our way to her house with some toffee as a "I'm sorry I inadvertently tried to steal your dog, and by the way Merry Christmas" present. The world's cutest baby and some homemade toffee have got to go a long way in soothing ruffled feathers, right?

Unfortunately, no one was home in the house I though they lived in and I didn't want to knock on random doors looking for them, thereby adding to my crazy pajama wearing, dog stealing image - so we just went home.

All in all, I failed in my attempt to rescue a dog and in my attempt to make friends with a neighbor. No more do-gooding for me, at least until I quit blushing for this one.

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment